May I introduce to you one of the craziest cookie recipes I've ever seen or made...
Peanut Butter Jelly Potato Chip Thumbprints!
PB&J, an obvious childhood classic, coupled with salty potato chips... a sweet and salty match made in cookie heaven. These cookies definitely took me back to the simpler days of pogs, tamagotchis and my Nintendo 64. Oh to be a 90s kid again.
Thought up by the foodie geniuses over at Spoon Fork Bacon, this cookie was a hit among my friends and taste testers! My younger brother described it as "a meal in his mouth!"
The recipe itself is really easy to follow but when the cookie dough bakes it gets REALLY crumbly, so be careful! I broke a few cookies when I was trying to remake a jelly-hole in them fresh outta the oven...you're supposed to make the hole when the cookies are still in their dough-ball form but because they spread so much, chances are you'll have to do it again after they're done baking.
It's up do you what kind of jam you want to use, I used strawberry smuckers jam in my cookies but next time I'd use that squeezable kind to make things a little easier.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies Rolled in Crushed Potato Chips
Makes 24 to 30
Source: Spoon Fork Bacon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 cups potato chips, crushed
½ cup jam of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter. Scrape down sides of the bowl and add both sugars. Cream together, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix.
4. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir until just combined. Add the peanut butter and mix until well combined.
6. Roll heaping tablespoon sized balls with the dough and toss in the egg whites followed by the potato chips, until well coated.
7. Place balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet (you will have to use two baking sheets). Gently press your pinky into the center of the dough.
8. Place into the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minute or until cookies have spread and baked through.
9. Allow cookies to cool completely before filling with a small amount of jam. Once cookies have been filled with jam, set aside and allow cookies to set, about 1 hour. Serve.